Suge Knight’s Threats Left ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Director Terrified
Filmmaker F. Gary Gray was terrified after Marion “Suge” Knight allegedly left a threatening call to him during the filming of Straight Outta Compton, according to court documents released on Friday (Oct. 20).
The Los Angeles Times revealed transcripts from Gray’s testimony during a grand jury hearing in February. The hearing was in relation to Knight being accused of making criminal threats against the director during the production of the N.W.A biopic back in August 2014.
At first, Gray received a call from an irate Knight who was mad about the way he was being depicted in the film and for not receiving compensation. Gray hung up on Knight and refused to answer two more calls from him. Then the text messages followed.
“I will see u in person...u have kids just like me so let’s play hardball,” Knight allegedly wrote with a pair of expletives and a racial slur, according to court records.
Knight also used gang terminology and referenced other N.W.A members in his angry text messages. “I’m from Bomton,” Knight texted, using Bloods slang. “I’m a Blood criminal street gang member from the city of Compton...Time has arrived Faith in God keep ppl safe. The Devil’s Money can’t save No 1.”
Gray was so shook by Suge's threatening messages that he spent nearly two days dodging questions about the incident during his grand jury testimony. Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Barnes told the grand jury that the director’s testimony showed just how much fear Suge Knight was able to instill in people.
“He’s so afraid he came in here and lied under oath,” said Barnes. “He’s perjuring himself because he’s that afraid.”
Prosecutors argue that Knight’s rage over the film is part of why he ran over two men, killing Terry Carter and injuring Cle “Bone” Sloan in January 2015. Knight claims he was acting in self-defense and says that Dr. Dre paid $20,000 to have him killed.
After the hearing, Knight was indicted on a charge of threatening Gray with death or great bodily injury. Since then, the former Death Row founder has pleaded not guilty in the case.
Meanwhile, Sage Knight's murder trial is set to begin in Jan. 2018.