The sad news just keeps on coming in regards to Prince's untimely death. According to reports, the late musician's emergency landing last Friday (April 15) may have happened because he may have reportedly overdosed on Percocet.

TMZ is reporting that Prince ingested so much of the pain medication, that EMTs had to administer a "save shot" at the Moline, Ill. airport, where his plane made an emergency landing, in order to save his life.

Percocet is an addictive pain reliever made with a combination of acetaminophen and oxycodone. Rumor has it that Prince was suffering from problems in his hip -- he had corrective hip surgery in 2010. TMZ also snagged a photo of the Purple One leaving Walgreens. Apparently, Prince was visiting his local pharmacy at least four times a week.

The official cause of Prince's death has not been finalized since the medical examiner received the body on Friday (April 22) for the autopsy. But drug overdose has been an all-too familiar tragic tale among our musical greats.

In 2009, Michael Jackson died from a cardiac arrest after suffering from acute propofol and benzodiazepine intoxication. Then in, 2012, Whitney Houston drowned in her bathtub -- but effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use were found in her system during the autopsy.

We can only hope that the depressing news serves as a warning to artists and everyday people who are still living. In the meantime, we join fans around the world who continue to mourn the death of the late creative genius.

More From TheBoombox