Tyler, the Creator Scores Top 5 Debut With ‘Cherry Bomb’ Album
This week's album sales are in and Tyler, The Creator has exploded into the top five on the Billboard 200 chart. The Odd Future rapper's Cherry Bomb album comes in at No. 4 with 58,000 copies sold in its first week.
Although the sales are about half as much as his last album, Wolf, it's a respectable showing for a release with little major promo. The rapper only announced the release two weeks ago, premiered the visuals for the track “F---ING YOUNG" and then dropped the effort on April 13.
Tyler performed some of the tracks off his fourth studio effort when he took the stage at Coachella 2015. It was during his set at the annual desert music festival when the outspoken rapper famously poked fun at Kim Kardashian's baby sister, Kendall Jenner, by saying "F--- you!" Of course, it was all just a joke as the two are friends in real life.
Elsewhere on the charts, Young Thug's Barter 6 comes in at No. 26, with 19,000 sales. This is a bit surprising given the amount of publicity Thug has enjoyed with his much-talked about beef with Lil Wayne as a result of the title. The two have taken public shots over the title's mixtape as well as Wayne's thoughts of Thugger as an artist.
Billboard 200 Top 10
1. Shawn Mendes, Handwritten – 119,000
2. Furious 7 Soundtrack -- 79,000
3. Reba McEntire, Love Somebody – 62,000
4. Tyler, the Creator, Cherry Bomb – 58,000
5. Halestorm, Into the Wild Life – 56,000
6. Fifty Shades of Grey Soundtrack 43,000
7. Taylor Swift, 1989 – 38,000
8. Sam Smith, In the Lonely Hour – 37,000
9. Ed Sheeran, x – 36,000
10. Drake, If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late – 35,000
See 10 Most Anticipated Rap Albums of 2015