Tinashe vs. Prince — The Boombox Battle
No one cleaned up like Tinashe did in this week's The Boombox Battle. She not only won the competition but also dominated the poll with 98.84 percent of the fan vote -- leaving Luke James in the dust with a mere 1.16 percent.
With a fluid melody, T-Minus’ bouncy beat and the singer’s airy vocals, ‘In the Meantime’ has a smooth sensuality that compliments her flirty lyrics.
“In the meantime, f--- in the meantime/ I need ya, but just for tonight, boy,” she sings.
This week, Prince's new track, 'Clouds,' goes against the 21-year-old Los Angeles songstress. The funky track will take you back to the days of 'Purple Rain,' with the various synths and electric guitar textures. The iconic singer's voice goes through a slight Auto-Tune filter, but his signature sound is ever-present. Off his upcoming solo album, 'ART OFFICIAL AGE,' 'Clouds' is a means to encourage that guy to make a move on the girl he's been getting close to.
"You should never underestimate the power of / A kiss on the neck, when she doesn't expect / A kiss on the neck, when she doesn't expect / A kiss on the neck / And every time you catch her singin' in the shower / You should go and get a flower / Don't matter what the hour / Just rub it on her back, rub it on her back, rub it on her back / All over me," he sings on the chorus.
Will Tinashe hold on to her crown as queen of The Boombox Battle? Or will Prince rise up to his R&B and funk status as this week's victor? Only you can decide. Vote for your favorite artist’s song once per hour until the polls shut down on Tues., Sept. 9, at 10AM ET.
Listen to Tinashe's 'In the Meantime'
Listen to Prince's 'Clouds'
Rules of The Boombox Battle
Two artists and their respective songs compete against each other each week. The triumphant artist goes on to compete in the next The Boombox Battle. If an artist wins The Boombox Battle four times consecutively, their song will be honored in The Boombox Battle Hall of Fame.