Suge Knight Ordered to Stay 100 Yards Away From L.A. Resident
A Los Angeles County judge has issued a temporary restraining order against former Death Row CEO Suge Knight, to protect a local man who claims that he was threatened at gunpoint.
On Monday, May 24, L.A. judge Carol Boas Goodson granted the restraining order in favor of Elwood E. Chatman, forcing Knight to stay at least 100 yards away from the victim and his family. According to TMZ, Knight was accused of putting a hit out on the man after posting bail from his initial arrest on Thursday, May 20. Chatman reportedly told the judge that Knight “had 8 guys come to my house and told them to get me or kill me.”
A follow-up hearing is scheduled for June 8, to decide whether or not it will be necessary to extend the restraining order.
Knight was arrested shortly after midnight on Thursday, May 20, in Gardena, Los Angeles for allegedly pulling a gun on a man in South Los Angeles one day earlier. The 45-year-old mogul was eventually released on $66,000 bail, but his lawyer, March Brumer says that he was unfairly targeted by the police. “He’s innocent. He never had a gun. The police should’ve done an investigation before they arrested him,” Brumer told The BoomBox. “He draws a crowd whoever he goes. He’s 6’3”, 350 pounds. People come up to him, they want autographs. I guess where this happened there was a crowd of people.”
Earlier in March, Suge Knight was named as a suspect in the assault and robbery of Bay Area rapper Yukmouth. Yukmouth, who was robbed of $92, 000 worth of jewelry later denied Knight’s involvement in the incident, explaining that police were using it to pin Knight for past transgressions.