Kid Cudi can't seem to catch a break this month. After getting the boot from Lady Gaga's Monster Ball Tour last week for assaulting a fan, the Cudder found himself tangled up in an unpleasant encounter with the Los Angeles Police Department yesterday (Dec. 21), due to a case of mistaken identity.

Cudi and his entourage were pulled over after leaving a photo shoot for NME outside of the Joyrich store on Melrose Avenue. All passengers in the two SUVs and Jeep were forced to exit the vehicles with hands on heads and knees on the floor. LAPD officers quickly realized that they had the wrong culprits and Cudi and his crew were allowed to go free. According to the officers, who later apologized for the mishap, a resident in the area had identified the rapper and his pals as suspects in a burglary.

Cudi told NME that he's not sure exactly why the whole thing went down. "Who knows, really, the story changed a bunch," he said. "I'm just happy to be back. I'm a free man! For that moment I was not free. I was in handcuffs. It did not feel very comfortable." But, being his good-natured self, Cudi also explained that while it wasn't the most favorable situation, he wouldn't hold any grudges against the officers. "We're in LA, it's a rowdy place in the United States, you know? And a lot of shit goes down. And these cops have to use force. So it's, like, I understand that they were doing their job. I just wish we weren't in that place at that time."