Jennifer Lopez’s Canceled Cyprus Gig May Cost Her $40M
When Jennifer Lopez pulled out of a July performance at the Cratos Premium Hotel and Casino — a hotel in northern Cyprus, part of the Republic of Turkey — she probably didn’t expect a $40 million lawsuit as a parting gift for bailing on the show.
Lopez decided against showing up in Cyprus’ Kyrenia district due to reports of human rights abuse within the country, but organizers are threatening to take swift legal action if she doesn’t fulfill her obligations. “If she does not show up for the concert, we will begin a procedure in the courts to claim 35-40 million dollars in damages,” said concert organizer Murat Bozoglu, in a statement. “The cancellation … is not covered by any clause in the contract she signed with us.”
Feza Firat, whose agency represents the Cratos Hotel, believes that Lopez had been led to believe that there was a war going on in the country. Lopez is billed to perform at the opening of the hotel on July 24, but changed her mind in light of not-so-subtle opposition from the Greek-Cypriots in the southern region, who even started a Facebook page against the concert with over 20,000 supporters. “Jennifer Lopez would never knowingly support any state, country, institution or regime that was associated with any form of human rights abuse,” said a rep for Lopez. “After a full review of the relevant circumstances in Cyprus, it was the decision of management to withdraw from the appearance. This was a team decision that reflects our sensitivity to the political realities of the region.”