Jamie Foxx Recalls Being Drugged With PCP in College
Jamie Foxx recently revealed that he accidentally ingested PCP in college, and has suffered flashbacks from the incident ever since. Foxx was studying music at the United States International University in San Diego, at the time, when a fellow student slipped the dangerous hallucinogen into his drink as a prank.
“I was drinking whisky and it didn’t taste funny, so I had no idea. It took about 15 minutes and I knew something was wrong. I said to my roommate, ‘Something is going on, and I don’t know what it is, but I’m going to ride it out,’” the actor/singer/comedian explained in a recent interview with the UK Daily Mail.
A friend rushed the near-comatose Foxx to the hospital immediately. Foxx recalls the friend’s care, “[he] stayed at the hospital with me. Then he took me back to the dorm and I was afraid of the dark and he would talk to me every night and calm me down and say stuff like, ‘You’re OK, the demons aren’t real.’ He saved my life.”
Though it’s been over 20 years since the incident, the Academy Award winner claims he still suffers flashbacks. “It felt like all of my fears were coming true and I was going crazy. I read up on PCP after it happened. It leaves a fingerprint and you can’t get it out of your system. It happened to me when I was 18 and I had 11 months of harsh flashbacks, and then when I was 26 I had a flashback just like that [snaps his fingers] – and another one when I was 32, and that was the last one, but I always worry about it coming back.”
PCP, known by a variety of street names such as wet, leak or dust, is a dangerous drug, which has been linked to several brutal murders (including rapper Big Lurk, who killed a woman and ate her lungs while under the influence of the drug), and suicides, due to its disassociative, hallucinogenic properties.
“How did it make me feel?” Foxx contined, “Like living in your worst nightmares. You’re afraid of the dark, afraid of things you see on the television, you feel that things are coming at you. I felt paranoid, and paranoia is craziness. It’s not good.”
Look out for Jamie Foxx and Martin Lawrence, revisiting ‘In Living Color’ characters Sheneneh and Wanda in ‘Skank Robbers,’ coming soon. And kids, don’t put drugs in your friends’ drinks.