D’Angelo Pleads ‘Not Guilty’ to Sex Solicitation Charges
R&B crooner D'Angelo says that the reports that he solicited oral sex from an undercover New York City police officer are false, and pleaded not guilty to the charges. According to a statement released by his manager, Lindsay Guion, the incident, which occurred in the early morning hours of March 6, is merely a big misunderstanding. "We know there is a lot of speculation in regard to the arrest of D'Angelo in New York City this past weekend," the statement read. "We would like his fans and the public at large to know that D'Angelo has pleaded not guilty, and is contesting the allegations made against him."
As previously reported D'Angelo, born Michael Archer, was driving alone in the West Village area of the city when he offered, what he believed to be a female prostitute, $40 for oral sex. Police also uncovered $1200 from the 36-year-old's Range Rover.
Despite the embarrassing nature of the case, Guion noted that her client is looking forward to his future endeavors and thankful for public support. "Also know that, he is in good health and extremely excited about his forthcoming new album," the statement continued. "D'Angelo would like to personally thank all of his fans for the outpouring of concern, and appreciates if all would allow the American justice system to resolve the matter before jumping to any conclusions."
The once sought after 'Brown Sugar' singer has seen a steep fall from grace in recent years coupled with several legal problems. In 2005 he was arrested for marijuana possession and driving while intoxicated. He pleaded not guilty to the charges but was picked up later that year for cocaine possession. D'Angelo is said to have completed a stint in rehab following those incidents.