Last night's near-riot after a canceled Drake show at New York City's South Street Seaport has become something of a local media sensation and now the parties involved have commented on the incident. For Drake, the matter rests with the NYPD. He says that he was barred from performing because they could not control overcrowding at the event.

"I am humbled by the crowd that showed up in support of my performance and the release of 'Thank Me Later,' he said. "I love performing for my fans but unfortunately the show was canceled by the NYPD due to over crowding, leaving me without the chance to give my fans a real show. I'm thankful for the support that the fans have been giving me ... I thank you now."

For the Seaport, the shutdown was inevitable after organizers were surprised that the crowd nearly doubled expectancy numbers.

"While South Street Seaport and Paper Magazine were looking forward to a great kick-off concert for the summer season, our primary concern is always the safety of our guests," said a statement by the venue. "Unfortunately, by the announced showtime, both the Seaport management and NYPD estimated that the onsite crowd had greatly exceeded our safe capacity, was still rising, and the show could no longer be presented in a safe atmosphere. By 7:00 PM, a decision was made in consultation with the police to cancel the event in order to foster the safe dispersal of the over-capacity crowd."

On the plus side, the public confusion and scuffling at the event didn't result in any serious injuries. Paper Magazine took care to emphasize that everyone was safe in the end.

"As you may have heard, the kickoff of the Seaport's summer music series last night with Drake, Hanson and Ninjasonik was cut short when many more music fans showed up than Pier 17 could accommodate," said the magazine in a press statement. "Though we hated to disappoint everyone, it was the right call given the circumstances. Seaport security and the NYPD handled the situation appropriately and calmly. A few people acted up, but for the most part a cool-headed crowd left the Pier peaceably. The good news is that no one was seriously hurt and we can all go on with our lives today looking forward to more fun in the sun at the Seaport and beyond."