Amy Winehouse Official Cause of Death Revealed
After initial autopsy results proved inconclusive, a coroner has determined that Amy Winehouse died from consuming an extreme amount of alcohol.
The official ruling by coroner Suzanne Greenaway is "death by misadventure," and according to test results, the 27-year-old singer died with a blood alcohol level more than five times the drunk-drive limit.
Winehouse was discovered in bed at her London home on July 23. The singer had struggled for years with substance abuse, and while there were no illegal drugs found in her system, police detective Les Newman said there were numerous empty vodka bottles discovered in her room.
Watch Amy Winehouse's First U.S. Performance
According to Winehouse's doctor, Dr. Christina Romete, the embattled star had resumed drinking in the days before her death, falling off the wagon after a period of sobriety. Romete also saw Winehouse the night before her death, and revealed the singer was "tipsy but calm." Last month, the 'Rehab' hitmaker's father, Mitch, had speculated that she died from alcohol withdrawal and possibly overdosed on Librium, a drug used to treat her addiction.
While Romete confirmed that Winehouse had been taking Librium, the coroner's report suggests the drug played no role in the singer's death.
"The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time," said Chris Goodman, a spokesman for the Winehouse family.